We know that great speeches galvanise people, communities and at times whole nations into determined action! And we know that some people are great at producing and delivering great speeches. So how do they do it? How can we learn from the great orators of the past and present and improve our own performance as orators? How can we galvanise people around us into action and motivate them to achieve great things?
First we can study the great speeches delivered by important people in the past, people who have led their communities or whole nations at critical times and literally changed the course of history. People like John F. Kennedy, with his “We chose to go to the moon”, and Barack Obama with “the audacity of hope” and affirmation of ‘Yes we can!”. People like Winston Churchill who defiantly proclaimed “we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be”. People like Nelson Mandela who told the Court of South Africa about “An ideal for which I’m prepared to die”.
We remember these speeches because we know they meant what they said. There was a truth and emotional commitment to every word.
Tips for creating powerful speeches
The next time you have an opportunity to speak out, you can follow this simple guide that comes from my study of great speeches in the past.
- Find common ground with your audience – articulate what you want to achieve and share your own story in a way that connects with their higher aims and goals
- Visualise the outcome you want to achieve and describe it in vivid language – appeal to all people in your audience using their individual preferences for processing information
- Build the energy and level of motivation in your audience by using repetition and contrast and by being passionate – if have to show you care to move people!
- And at the end, make your appeal to hope and a brighter future – be bold in describing the positive outcome you want as a certainty, making it a massive call to action.
- Above all, deliver your speech with confidence and passion – practice so that you know what you want to say and can do it with confidence – and believe in what you want to say!
If you want to be more successful and motivate people around you, then make it your goal to learn from the great orators of the past and improve your own ability to deliver a great speech. Our amazing 2-day course, ‘NLP to Transform Your Life’, will help you to produce and deliver a great speech and much more!